At First Baptist Church, we strive to show God's love to others in many ways. One of these ways is by meeting the needs of others. We have provided church members who volunteer with each of these ministries, if you would like to contact them for more information. This page is updated when we receive new requests from various sources that are in need need of help. We hope that this will provide you a place to serve
If interested in mission activities or service projects......Check this list...........Beside each mission is a reference where more information may be obtained.
* Tutoring school children (contact Pam Hester 865-654-2593)
* Constructing home wheelchair ramps (John Burton, consultant, 475-4316)
* Volunteering at local thrift store, Second Source (Phil & Becky Kindred, 475-3270)
* Volunteering at rural health clinic (Gaile Avent, 865-471-5525)
* Volunteering to raise money for American Cancer Society (Robbie Pinkerton, 475-4122)
* Participating in women's weekly Bible study, (church office, 475-3826)
* Performing musical programs at retirement homes (John Barnhill, 471-0827)
* Volunteering with Appalachian Outreach (Jim Wilson, 865-924-0418)
* Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity (Sheila Wiggins, 471-0069)
* Helping internationals acclimate to U.S. (John & Joan Barnhill, 475-0827)
* Providing transportation for elderly (Jean Love 865-679-6330)
* Providing yard work/home maintenance for elderly (David Aldredge, 865-591-1344)
* Helping persons cope with grief on death anniversaries (Shirley Herring, 475-2617)
* Volunteering at Jefferson Memorial Hospital (JMH, 471-2500)
* Volunteering with Celebrate Recovery (James Diggs, 471-0792)
* Serving with Stephen Ministry (see link elsewhere on web site)
Invitation to Volunteer - Jefferson Rural Clinic
The Jefferson Rural Clinic invites you to become a front desk volunteer. Time involved is your choice: anywhere from two half days a month up to a half-day or two a week. Skills needed include: Ability to operate a very simple computerized Appointment Scheduling program; answering phone; having a listening ear; filing of patient charts, and communicating with patients. Training provided. Please call the clinic 471-5525 to sign up.
Invitation to Volunteer - Appalachian Outreach
Appalachian Outreach is looking for volunteers that would like to act as a receptionist, answer phones, help with office work, etc. This would be a big help with the summer program fast approaching. It could be one day a week or multiple days. We need help Monday - Thursday between the hours of 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. You do not have to stay all day. It could just be a few hours. Contact Karrie Foust at 475-5611.
WISH LIST FOR APPALACHIAN OUTREACH
cereal, peanut butter, tuna, canned chicken, other canned meats, canned fruit
instant meals (like Hamburger Helper, Taco kits, etc.)
gluten free food items
small non refrigerated microwave meals that children could make
baby diapers and baby food
bags (Walmart size, garbage bags assorted sizes, ziploc bags)
Volunteers to help in the sorting room (especially Wednesday-Friday) You may come any day convenient for you. They are open 8 - 4 p.m. and there is always something to be done.
Shampoo and Conditioner
**All household items to be given to residents as they move out - pots, pans, dishes, silverware, glasses, bowls, cups, towels, dish cloths, blankets, sheets (all sizes), etc.
Large Trash Bags
Paint Roller Sleeves
4 Cordless Drills